Subject: Re: [lojban] r's

From: Jim Peters <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 11:07:25 +0100

[email-masked] wrote:
> The only postvocalic r's that seem to be problematic in Lojban are the Broad 
> Brits (including those of the upper US), who try to get by with lengthening 
> and various odd congestions in the back of their throats (which they 
> regularly deny happens and sometimes does not), and really thorough uvular 
> French r's. The first ends up being just the vowel to many ears, the second 
> falls dangerously close to /x/ for people not too used to the real thing (and 
> even some who are). Trills, flaps and retroflex fricatives work best -- and 
> the last two make for easy syllabics. 

Well, if I fall under the category of "Broad Brit" (!?) maybe this
explains why I couldn't make much sense of lojban `r' from an English
perspective, and Spanish `r' feels so much more comfortable. Makes
sense.

Jim

-- 
Jim Peters (_)/=\~/_(_) Uazú
(_) /=\ ~/_ (_)
jim@ (_) /=\ ~/_ (_) www.
uazu.net (_) ____ /=\ ____ ~/_ ____ (_) uazu.net