Subject: Re: [lojban] ce'u

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 10:21:16 -0400

And Rosta wrote:

> #But so does nu. An event labeled with nu need not have happened
> #(le nu co'e cu na fasnu).
> 
> And likewise, {le prenu cu na fasnu}, {le prenu cu na zasti}.

Nooo, this case is not really comparable.

A Lojban event can exist (zasti) without occurring (fasnu).
For the former, it suffices that the event be consistently
describable. For the latter, it must correspond to some actual
region of space-time.

Al Gore is not President of the U.S. But the event of his
being so is an existing (zasti) event nonetheless. It can have
things predicated about it.

> So when we are using the mechanisms for talking only
> about realworld entities, whatever those mechanisms turn out to
> be, li'i broda will not be equivalent to li'i le nu broda.

I suppose you mean "lifri le nu broda". I claim in fact that
they are equivalent, because there is an existent (abstract)
thing that is "le nu broda", whether "broda" holds or not.
-- 
Not to perambulate || John Cowan <[email-masked]>
the corridors || http://www.reutershealth.com
during the hours of repose || http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
in the boots of ascension. \\ Sign in Austrian ski-resort hotel