Subject: Re: sts- [was: RE: [lojban] Brochure updates

From: Rob Speer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 14:21:45 -0400

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 06:44:02AM -0400, Craig wrote:
> However, the typing difficulties may contribute. And when I first looked at
> esperanto, I actually was a bit put off by the propaganda - which is not
> always accurate, causing me to become frustrated. Esperanto is NOT totally
> regular. It is NOT, as some claim, identical to my native language except
> for the sixteen rules (and how they presume to know what my native language
> is, I don't know). With lojban, the only false claim is that of total
> unambiguity, which it took me long enough to realize wasn't completely true
> that I had seen enough positives to outweigh it.

Who claims that Lojban has total unambiguity?

The brochure states that Lojban in unambiguous in terms of pronunciation,
morphology, and grammar, and that this means "the person who reads or hears a
Lojban sentence	is never in doubt as to what words it contains or what roles
they play in the sentence." This is true.

Semantic ambiguity is necessary for a human language, however. Anyone who
claims that Lojban has none hasn't used the language at all.

Incidentally, about this topic - I don't think this is the right place to
complain about Esperanto. It's good that most people can avoid seeing it as an
"us vs. them" issue, so let's try to keep it that way.
-- 
Rob Speer