Subject: Re: sts- [was: RE: [lojban] Brochure updates

From: "Brion L. VIBBER" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 11:42:19 -0700

Craig wrote:
> I am not interested in learning new natural languages that don't have more
> speakers than Esperanto, certainly.

A fair decision. If neither the language itself nor the culture interests 
you, a small, dispersed speaker community lends little utility.

> As for reasons lojban offers more than natural languages, I predict that 
> due to its computer parseability and unambiguous structure Lojban is 
> likely to be the first langauge used by AI programs;
[..]

Yes, lojban is certainly fascinating and full of possibilities -- why do you 
think I'm here, too?

> I use word. I want to be able to type, because my handwriting is awful.

You've conveniently ignored the fact that you can download and install a 
keyboard driver in a few minutes and type away.

> >* You are only interested in languages with complete morphological
> >unambiguity (such as lojban).
>
> Not necessarily complete. Just enough that the speakers don't get into
> fights about how to say computer (or anything else) - yes, I've seen that
> happen in Esperanto.

That's a silly thing to say on this mailing list. No, we never get into 
fights about language usage *here*... :)

> However, the typing difficulties may contribute.

In the human mind, all manner of strange things are possible...

> And when I first looked at
> esperanto, I actually was a bit put off by the propaganda -

Propaganda and hype are the enemy of all good things. I'm certainly against 
misinformation and propaganda -- otherwise I wouldn't be bothering to argue 
with you here when my own lojban still isn't up to snuff.

-- brion vibber ([email-masked] / [email-masked])