[POD] Re: Level -1 doc.

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 10:31:31AM -0700, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 03:11:45PM -0700, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> > > If y'all disagree and think we should do POD *out* *of* *our*
> > > *pockets* for the 30 or so people that have sent random snail-mail
> > > asking about lojban over the last few years, hey, great, I'm all for
> > > it.
> >
> > I won't do it out of my pockets, but I'd do it for cost rounded down
>
> I'm not sure that I understand the difference.

I wasn't particularly clear, sorry. I can't completely absorb the cost
of mailing out something like the level-0 book, but I could do it for,
say, $10 a copy, absorbing variations in taxes and the fluctuation in
shipping cost due to destination, taxes, price of gas, sign of the
zodiac, etc.

> > I'm also willing to design it, given a detailed description of what
> > ought to go into it, and produce a PDF for people to print out. I'll
> > even maintain it. I'm just not sure what all needs to go in.
>
> Well.  Rock.  We actually don't *have* a clear idea.  I basically gave
> you everything that has been officially decided (must fit in a standard
> envelope, goes out to people who have asked about lojban with no
> specific requests).

Right. I don't have any ideas, either. About the content, anyways. I have
some thoughts on how I'd lay out the materials, but that is secondary.

It obviously needs to have some FAQish material, but some example text
and a list of simple/interesting phrases would be important, as sort of
"hook" material.

(Providing phrases, rather than minitutorial, so that they can say
interesting things in Lojban at {linguistics,computer science,}
cocktail parties, rather than actually understand why they need a
given terminator. Such material could be lifted from the phrasebook,
but should be done to pick phrases which are in some way "interesting".)

> > Sounds like it might should also contain an order form for other
> > materials, and the form to register your interest in Lojban.
>
> Yup.  The order form needs updating, but we as a group should work out
> how we want to handle the level 0 first.

So, the print-on-demand group, here is concerned with the design, creation
and distribution of the "level -1" packet which can be stuck in a first class
USPS envelope at a cost of $0.37? (I'm just trying to make sure I'm clear)
And the level-0 book is out of this group's scope?

--
Jay Kominek <jkominek@miranda.org>
Never look a gift horse in the mouth.