[POD] Re: Level -1 doc.

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 02:15:33PM -0600, Jay F Kominek wrote:

> > > I won't do it out of my pockets, but I'd do it for cost rounded
> > > down
> >
> > I'm not sure that I understand the difference.
>
> I wasn't particularly clear, sorry. I can't completely absorb the cost
> of mailing out something like the level-0 book, but I could do it for,
> say, $10 a copy, absorbing variations in taxes and the fluctuation in
> shipping cost due to destination, taxes, price of gas, sign of the
> zodiac, etc.

<nod>  So, essentially, subsidized by the LLG such that you only ever
pay $10?

Who else would do that?

> > > I'm also willing to design it, given a detailed description of
> > > what ought to go into it, and produce a PDF for people to print
> > > out. I'll even maintain it. I'm just not sure what all needs to go
> > > in.
> >
> > Well.  Rock.  We actually don't *have* a clear idea.  I basically
> > gave you everything that has been officially decided (must fit in a
> > standard envelope, goes out to people who have asked about lojban
> > with no specific requests).
>
> Right. I don't have any ideas, either. About the content, anyways. I
> have some thoughts on how I'd lay out the materials, but that is
> secondary.
>
> It obviously needs to have some FAQish material, but some example text
> and a list of simple/interesting phrases would be important, as sort
> of "hook" material.

<nod>

> (Providing phrases, rather than minitutorial, so that they can say
> interesting things in Lojban at {linguistics,computer science,}
> cocktail parties, rather than actually understand why they need a
> given terminator. Such material could be lifted from the phrasebook,
> but should be done to pick phrases which are in some way
> "interesting".)

<nod>

(I'm being terse because it's mostly the last bit I wanted to reply to).

> > > Sounds like it might should also contain an order form for other
> > > materials, and the form to register your interest in Lojban.
> >
> > Yup.  The order form needs updating, but we as a group should work
> > out how we want to handle the level 0 first.
>
> So, the print-on-demand group, here is concerned with the design,
> creation and distribution of the "level -1" packet which can be stuck
> in a first class USPS envelope at a cost of $0.37? (I'm just trying to
> make sure I'm clear) And the level-0 book is out of this group's
> scope?

*VERY* incorrect.  Distribution of anything that is printed on demand
for the LLG for sending to people is in the scope of this group.
Creation of the Level -1 thingy is technically *not* in the scope of
this group, I'm just trying to get help.

The question is what we pay out of our pockets versus getting from the
LLG.

Here's how I'm hoping things will work in the future:

The Level 0 and Lessons will be bought online or via snail mail to the
LLG, the money to cover costs and the person's address will somehow get
to us (probably not at the same time) and we will, as a group, pick one
of ourselves to send it out.  Said person will then go and run a Kinko's
copy or contact iUniverse or whatever we decide to do.

-Robin

--
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ 	BTW, I'm male, honest.
le datni cu djica le nu zifre .iku'i .oi le so'e datni cu to'e te pilno