Re: [jboske] Quantifiers, Existential Import, and all that stuff

la pycyn cusku di'e

> Certainly we can use "not all" in a purely
> fictional context, such as "Not all Klingons are bad," without
> suggesting that Klingons exist outside of ST. (ST is *not* a possible
> world, but I'm not ready to tackle those problems yet.)

Nice! So the "all" being denied there must have existential import. A nice
ordinary language example.
ST is a logically possible world, though scarcely possible in an kind of
possibility much short of that.

This comment is very strange. You're taking as evidence for your position something that is evidence against it. "Not all Klingons are bad" requires that there be Klingons (inside of ST) that are not bad. It is not "all" but "not all" that has existential import here!

mu'o mi'e xorxes