Anything but tautologies (was: Re: [jboske] Re: [lojban] tautologies

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Jorge Llambias wrote:

> la xod cusku di'e
>
> > > No, even in that context I can't interpret it as {bai noda}.
> > > It's always {bai zo'e}, and {zo'e} can't be {noda}.
> >
> >Not even if noda is the commonly understood value? I believe your fi'o
> >rebla is zo'e; it's noda.
>
> "Your fi'o rebla" is not grammatical, if we can talk of a Jboglish
> grammar, so I don't know what you mean by that. If you tell me
> {do fi'o rebla fe'u prenu}, I will assume you think I have a tail.

do prenu fi'o rebla zo'e .i do prenu fi'o rebla noda .i la'edi'u cfipu fi
ma

> >place.
> > >
> > > I see, but that's not how I understand the language. {li pa}
> > > for me is the number 1, not a function that takes the number
> > > 1 as a value.
> >
> >I never said that it took the number 1 as a value, but the converse: it
> >always spits out "1".
>
> I thought that the value that a function takes is the one that it
> spits. The sine function takes values in the -1 to +1 range.
> Is that wrong?

But sin "takes" (-00, 00) as arguments. Your use of the word "takes" threw
me off.

Anyway, whatever is in the 4th place of fancu needs to be interpreted as a
function. If I stick "1" in there, it can only mean a function that
returns "1" for all arguments, right? After all, if I had put "sin" in the
4th place, wouldn't that mean that the function was described by "sin"?

--
The tao that can be tar(1)ed
is not the entire Tao.