[jbovlaste] Re: "jargon" field added.

On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 02:57:01PM -0700, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 08:46:28PM +0200, Arnt Richard Johansen
> wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 05:52:04PM -0700, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> > >
> > > I added a field that can be used to mark words that are local
> > > jargon; this seemed useful for the RPG campaign I'm thinking of
> > > running.
> >
> > I do not think this is a good idea.
> >
> Can you explain why you don't like this idea?

Are you saying that "noljedai" could conceivably have a different meaning when being used in your RPG campaign from when it is used elsewhere? If so, this is a break with unambiguousness (which is an express design criterion of Lojban), and should not be endorsed by an official LLG project.

Or are you saying that most of the words that are coined for the project are likely to be of poor quality, and should hence be avoided? If so, I think a more appropriate solution is downvoting, or a checkbox in the definition editing page which says "do not vote after adding".

In any case, it's good to see that you are doing stuff with the Jbovlaste infrastructure. Don't let my whining put you off!

--
Arnt Richard Johansen                                http://arj.nvg.org/
[Bert Tyler] has been in programming since he got a job at the computer