[jbovlaste] Re: buckwheat

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Pierre Abbat wrote:

On Thursday 17 March 2005 00:51, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
Ideally, by adding the two words you listed above with sorrel and
rhubarb as the gloss words.

Perhaps I'm missing the problem?

Ignoring the synonym, we have four Lojban words and three English words. So we
could set the glosses to:
xruba -> rhubarb, sorrel, buckwheat
stanyxruba -> rhubarb
pezyxruba -> sorrel
xrixruba -> buckwheat
Depending on the votes, one of the Lojban words will not appear in the
English-Lojban part. Adding "Polygonaceae" as a gloss doesn't solve this,
because most English speakers (at least the ones I know) don't know the word
and don't even know that these plants are in the same family. (I didn't until
I learned the word {xruba}, and I know more taxonomy than most people.)

My opinion is that the most specific words get the back-links. Hence, no English word will point to {xruba}. I don't see this as a big problem, if there is no simple English word or phrase that refers to Polygonaceae

--
Arnt Richard Johansen                                http://arj.nvg.org/
I think it's fair to say that a lot of Hikawa's popularity is due to the