[lojban-beginners] Re: A problem with cu

coi .iens. du cusku di'e
> {le cilre cu xamgu} - learning is good

The learner is good. ("Learning is good" is probably something like {le nu
cilre cu xamgu}.)

> {le cilre xamgu} - (a tanru I cannot translate)

Something like "the learn-ish-good-thing"?

> {lenu mi cilre cu xamgu} - the event of my learning is good

Yes

> {lenu mi cilre xamgu} - the event of my doing (tanru)

(Or perhaps "the event of my being (tanru)")

> {lenu mi cilre zo'e cu xamgu} - the event of my learning something
>    is good
>
> In the last sentence I need {cu} because {lenu zo'e (selbri)
> zo'e ...} is always another selbri.

No -- {nu zo'e (selbri) zo'e} is a selbri. {le nu zo'e (selbri) zo'e} is a
sumti (I think).

{le nu mi cilre zo'e xamgu} parses as {le <nu [mi cilre zo'e] xamgu>} -- '
the "event-of-my-learning-something-ish good thing" '. Or something like
that.

> But this selbri doesn't have x1, x2, ... like gismus. (?)

Yes it does.

Since the resulting selbri is a tanru (formed from "nu mi cilre zo'e" and
"xamgu"), the positions (as I understand it) will be those of the final
constituent selbri -- in this case, "xamgu".

> (Is {ki'e mu'o mi'e .iens.} something like {Thanks, ...}?)

I'd say so.

mu'omi'e filip.
--
filip.niutyn. <Philip.Newton@datenrevision.de>
All opinions are my own, not my employer's.