[jbovlaste] Re: jbovlaste erroneously states original creator as the person who edited a definition

On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 08:47:13PM +0200, Matthias-Christian Ott wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 02:14:21PM +0200, Matthias-Christian Ott
> > wrote:
> > > My suggestion is to use a revision controll system and a plain
> > > text storage for the text, so we wouldn't need the web
> > > interface (which is a bit buggy and has a slow insertion
> > > procedure). I vote for git, mercurial or darcs.
> >
> > 1.  That's a really bad idea: plain text doesn't enforce formats
> > well, and people *will* screw the format up, and then someone
> > has to go and correct all the screwups.  Are you volunteering?
>
> We could have a validating parser. UNIX works on plaintext and it
> works quite well - so why shouldn't a dictionary use plaintext? We
> could also use s-expression and (yuck!) XML. I'll probably develop
> a context for this during the next week.

I suppose we could, but bear in mind that it needs to maintain
referential integrity between natlang words and Lojban valsi is
rather useless.

> > 2.  I'm certainly not writing the code for it.  Again, are you
> > volunteering?
>
> Yes, I would. With some help from others and some time it should
> work.

If you have coding skill, re-inventing the wheel like this seems a
horrific waste of your time.  There are so many Lojban projects that
need coders.

But if that's what you want to do, have fun.

-Robin

Reason #237 To Learn Lojban: "Homonyms: Their Grate!"
Proud Supporter of the Singularity Institute - http://singinst.org/