[jbovlaste] Re: jbovlaste erroneously states original creator as the person who edited a definition

> On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 02:14:21PM +0200, Matthias-Christian Ott
> wrote:
> > My suggestion is to use a revision controll system and a plain
> > text storage for the text, so we wouldn't need the web interface
> > (which is a bit buggy and has a slow insertion procedure). I vote
> > for git, mercurial or darcs.
>
> 1.  That's a really bad idea: plain text doesn't enforce formats
> well, and people *will* screw the format up, and then someone has to
> go and correct all the screwups.  Are you volunteering?

We could have a validating parser. UNIX works on plaintext and it works
quite well - so why shouldn't a dictionary use plaintext? We could also
use s-expression and (yuck!) XML. I'll probably develop a context for
this during the next week.

> 2.  I'm certainly not writing the code for it.  Again, are you
> volunteering?

Yes, I would. With some help from others and some time it should work.

> 3.  If you see a bug, the solution is to bring it to someone's
> attention, via this list or via rt-jvs@lojban.org.  Then, if I have
> time, I'll work on it.  It would sure be nice to have someone else
> to help on jbovlaste coding, but it's just me.

>From an error message I got yesterday I conclude that it's written in
Perl. I'm not a Perl programmer and I don't like Perl that much (ok,
it's better than PHP, but not much).

--
Matthias-Christian

      Wissenswertes für Bastler und Hobby Handwerker. BE A BETTER HEIMWERKER! www.yahoo.de/clever